I’m sharing some of my favorite “it’s so easy even I’ll make it” side dish recipes.
This recipe is great with Black Bean Cakes. The flavors really enhance each other. Another great benefit of this recipe is that it keeps well in the refrigerator for at least a week.
- Mixing Bowl
- Small Sauce Pan
- 2 12 oz. Whole Kernel Corn
- ⅔ Cup Diced Onion
- ⅔ Cup Green Pepper
- ⅔ Cup Pimento's
- ½ Cup White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Dry Mustard
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Drain Corn saving ½ cup of juice
- Combine Corn, Onion, Pepper & Pimento's in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients including reserved corn juice in a sauce pan
- Bring sauce pan mixture to a slight boil
- Pour hot liquid over Corn mixture and stir.
- Cover & Refrigrate over night, stirring occasionally.
- Serve as a cold side dish.
See Recipe for Black Bean Cakes Here
Potato Side Dish
This dish is perfect with the Ahi Tuna Recipe
Wasabi Mashed Potatoes
- 2-3 qt. sauce pan
- 4-6 Red Potatoes Small to Medium in size
- 4 tbsp Butter
- ½ tbsp Wasabi Paste
- 1 tbsp Sour Cream
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
In addition, the asian slaw is great with the Ahi Tuna!
Easy Asian Slaw
- 1 bag cabbage slaw mixture Or Small Head of Cabbage Chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds Optional
This side dish is also a great appetizer. It works well with the Chicken Enchilada Recipe.
Avocados are considered a super health food and therefore are a great addition to your diet. The are cholesterol free, sodium free and low in saturated fats. To learn more about the health benefits of Avocado’s see this article.
- 1 Avocado
- 1 med. Tomato
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Lemon
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp Celery Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- dash Salt
- Chop Avocado and Tomato. Place in serving bowlAdd Fresh Cilantro Squeeze the juice of one lemon over mixtureAdd Olive Oil and Seasonings Mix Cover and Refrigerate until ready to serve
Great to Freeze Recipe
This recipe side dish is great for dipping with fresh baked bread or tossed on pasta. You’ll love having small containers in your freezer to pull out at the last minute.
Basil Pesto Recipe
- Food Processor or Blender
- 3 cups Basil Fresh
- 1 Cup Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese Shredded
- ⅛ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup Pine nuts
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Wash Basil Well & pat dry
- Blend all ingredients together in food processor or blender. Blend until almost smooth. Leaving the nuts slightly crunchy.
Perfect Holiday Side Dish
A friend shared this dish with me many years ago and I make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Cranberry & Apple Bake
- 2 quart Baking Dish
- 3 cups Chopped Granny Smith Apples
- 2 cups Fresh Cranberries
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 pkg Cinnamon & Spice Instant Oatmeal
- ¾ cup Chopped Pecans
- ½ cup Plain Flour
- ½ cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Butter Melted
- Preheat Oven 350°
- Combine Apples, Cranberries & 2 Tbsp. Flour tossing to coat fruit
- Add 1 Cup of Sugar and Mix well
- Pour into a slightly greased baking dish
- Combine remaining ingredients and mix well
- Spoon over mixture over Fruit covering the top
- Bake uncovered – 45 minutes
- Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries if desired
I made this for Cinco de Mayo and it was a so delicious. This is a great vegetarian dish that can be served as a main dish. You can see more recipes that are great for Cinco de Mayo here.
Cilantro Lime Black Beans Side Dish Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 3 quart sauce pan
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup lime juice approx. 3 limes juiced.
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fat free vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook Rice
- Add olive oil to skillet and salute onion & minced garlic until onion begins to soften
- Add Vegetable broth
- Add Lime Juice & Cayenne Pepper
- Add Rice, Black Bean & Cilantro and stir until hot.
- Garnish with Lime & Fresh Cilantro
- Serve Immediately