Did you know that stacked salads are becoming quite a hot topic? Check out the simple ingredients for this cobb salad with chicken stack. This layered salad recipe makes a pretty presentation for any dinner party or brunch.
We recently made a rare tuna stack salad, which was so delicious we wanted to explore more options.
Table of contents
- What is a Cobb Layered Salad Recipe?
- What Supplies Do I Need To Make A Stacked Salad?
- Why Are Stacked Salads So Popular?
- Ingredients For Cobb Salad
What is a Cobb Layered Salad Recipe?
Simply, it’s taking all the ingredients for cobb salad and making a stacked salad.
To do this, you need some supplies.
(Posts on The Ponds Farmhouse may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See the full disclosure details here.)
What Supplies Do I Need To Make A Stacked Salad?
We purchased stainless steel round cake molds to create our layered salad recipes.
They are sold in a set of two, and the size (3 inches tall and 4 inches in diameter) was a perfect proportion for each of us a meal.
This doesn’t sound large; however, you will be amazed at how much salad you can pack into one.
DIY Stacked Salad Molds
However, you don’t have to purchase these molds to make a stacked salad. There are some DIY options.
You can use a tin can with the top and bottom removed; however, you want a smooth can without ridges.
Another idea was to make molds out of a PVC pipe cut approximately 3 – 4 inches long with sanded edges.
This will only be cost-effective if you have scrap pieces to work with. You might check with a plumber to pick up scrap pieces for free.
You can also use a large round coffee mug. For this method, you need to reverse the order of ingredients because you will be dumping them upside down.
Why Are Stacked Salads So Popular?
The beautiful presentation is definitely a plus. They are very appealing when presented on a decorated plate.
However, another reason for the rise in popularity is how all the flavor mess together. When all the ingredients are packed tightly, you get a delicious taste of yum with every bite.
We have also noticed that making the stacked salad and letting it sit for 15 to 20 minutes helps to enhance the flavors.
Another noteworthy observation is that less salad dressing is needed for these delicious recipes.
I filled individual salad boats with salad dressing but found the additional condiment was unnecessary for this layered salad recipe.
The amount added to the lettuce and drizzled on the plate was plenty.
Ingredients For Cobb Salad
Today’s recipe is based on two main dish servings in a 4-inch diameter stack. The amount of ingredients will vary with the size of your stack.
- 1 1/2 – Cups of Finely Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- 3 – Strips of Crispy Bacon
- 2 – diced boiled eggs
- 1/4 – Cup finely dice Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 – cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 – Avocado diced
- 1 1/2 – Cups Diced Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 TBPS Chopped Green Onion
- 1/2 Fresh Lime (juiced)
- Bianna’s Creamy Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Optional – Green Food Coloring for Decorated Plate
- 2 – Round Cake Ring Molds 3″ high by 4″ diameter
- Cooking Spray
This cobb layered salad makes a pretty presentation, especially with the plate decorated.
You can begin by adding dots of salad dressing to the plate. For added impact, I chose to add a drop of green food coloring to a small amount of the Cilantro Lime Dressing to give it a more vibrant color.
Then place the metal cake molds or other mold options onto the center of each plate. You may want to add a small amount of cooking spray to the inside of the mold for easy removal.
Begin Layers For A Cobb Salad With Chicken Layered Salad Recipe
You will divide all ingredients between two plates for this layered salad recipe.
Begin by tossing the romaine lettuce with approx. one tablespoon of the salad dressing. Add equal amounts to each plate for the first layer of the ingredients for Cobb Salad.
Next, mix the boiled egg and bacon to form the next layer of the salad. Begin to press the layers down using a spoon or spatula.
Follow by adding a mixture of tomato and feta cheese. Don’t forget to press each layer, packing the ingredients tightly.
Then toss the avocado in the lime juice and press on top of the tomato and feta layer.
Lastly, toss the diced rotisserie chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add to the top of the stacked salad and press firmly.
Add a sprinkle of chopped green onions to the top of the ingredients for Cobb Salad stack.
Remove Mold To Reveal Stacked Salad
Finally, you are ready to reveal your stacked salad. Press gently on the top of the stack with a spoon and lift the mold upward.
Garnish Staked Salad
You may want to drizzle a small amount of the green dressing over the top.
To add color, you can also sprinkle the plate with more chopped green onion, or finely chopped red pepper, etc..
Cobb Salad with Chicken
This layered salad recipe is a meal in a one-bite dish. However, the cobb salad with chicken is also delicious served with fresh fruit
The stacked salad perfectly adds to our Spring Fling Salad Bar Supper Club. You can see all the details on Thursday.
- 1 1/2 Cups Finely Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- 3 Slices of Crispy Bacon
- 2 - Hard Boiled Eggs Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Diced Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 - Avocado Diced
- 1/2 Lime Juiced
- 1 1/2 Cup Diced Rotisserie Chicken
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Green Onion
- Bianna's Creamy Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing
- Optional - Green Food Coloring
- Cooking Spray
- Cook Bacon Until Crispy
- Boil 2 Eggs
- Chop and Dice All Ingredients
- Optional - mix 1 drop of green food coloring with 2-3 Tbsp. of Salad Dressing
- Drizzle the colored salad dressing to decorate 2 dinner plates
- Use cooking spray to lightly coat the inside of both stack molds
- Place a round stack mold in the center of the plate
- Mix 1-2 tbsp of salad dressing with the romaine lettuce
- Divide the lettuce between the two molds and pack firmly into the bottom holding the mold steady in the middle of the plate.
- Mix the bacon and egg together, divide between each plate and pack on top of the lettuce.
- Add cherry tomatoes and feta cheese together and add as the next layer to the molds
- Squeeze 1/2 Lime over the diced avocado, toss, and add as the next layer. Be sure to press firmly into the mold between each layer with a spoon or spatula.
- Add salt and pepper to diced rotisserie chicken and add to each mold.
- Finally, top with chopped green onion.
- Making sure the salad is firmly packed, press a spoon or spatula lightly on top of the stack while gently removing the mold by lifting it straight up.
- Drizzle with additional salad dressing if desired.
You can purchase different-size molds. The one we use is perfect for a main course dinner for two.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled for larger parties.
When using a cup for mold, you must reverse the order of the ingredients to be stacked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DUYONE 15pcs Artificial Tulips Flowers Real Touch Fake Latex Bouquet for Wedding Party Office Home Kitchen Decoration(Light Pink,15pcs)
HOMBENE Large Dinnerware Set 16 Piece Service for 4, Plates and Bowls Sets, High-fired at 2372°F, for Dessert Salad and Pasta, Dishes Set w/Cereal Bowls
McCormick Culinary Green Food Coloring, 16 fl oz - One 16 Fluid Ounce Green Liquid Food Coloring, Add Vivid Green Color to Cakes, Cookies, Icings and More
Briannas Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing 12 oz (Pack of 2)
Ateco Round Cake Ring Dessert Mold, 3" High x 4" Diameter, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 750Total Fat 89gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 45gCholesterol 300mgSodium 900mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 8gSugar 8gProtein 62g
Please note that I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I include basic calorie and nutrition information for recipes as a courtesy. However, due to wide variations in brands, nutrition data is subject to change for every user. Nutrition data is calculated using Calorie Counter App and information is entered as accurately as possible. We subtract all sugar alcohols from erythritol and xylitol from the final carb count because that is how THM calculates carbs.
Another Stacked Recipe
Check out this delicious Poke Tuna recipe.
Additional Recipes for Entertaining
Here are some additional recipes you may enjoy when you plan your next party.
- 7 Easter Dessert Recipe Ideas
- 6 Easter Brunch recipes
- Fresh Herb and Cucumber Recipes
- Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
- Ranch Bite Size Cheese Balls
- Spicy Cheese Wafer Recipe
- Pulled Pork Egg Rolls Air Fryer Recipe
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Pin It To Remember It
Did you find some great ideas you’d like to save for future reference? Hover over the images you’d like to save and pin to your favorite Pinterest Boards when you see the PIN button.