Do you want to give your kitchen countertops a makeover without breaking the bank? If so, you’re in luck! There are plenty of ways to decorate your kitchen countertops with thrifted decor. Today I will share some of my favorite ideas and why thrift store shopping helps to create a curated, unique decor style that’s budget-minded.
Y’all know I love a deal, and shopping in thrift stores and consignment shops is my favorite pastime.
You will find many second-hand and vintage pieces at a fraction of the original cost.
Let’s take a look at some of my favorite pieces and how to use them to decorate the kitchen.
(Posts on The Ponds Farmhouse may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See the full disclosure details here.)
Table of contents
- Thrifting with the Gals
- Budget Thrifted Countertop Decor
- Decorate Countertops with Collectibles
- How To Display Vintage Copper
- Add Thrifted Decor Art To Kitchen Countertops
- Give Kitchen Countertops A New Look – Mix and Match
- Other Budget Kitchen Decorating and DIY Ideas
Thrifting with the Gals
Today’s post is part of our monthly series Thrifting with the Gals.
If you are new to our series, we are friends who share a love for vintage and thrifted decorating.
We all live in different parts of the country, but we come together once a month to share thrift store shopping ideas and how to decorate with your treasures.
Here are the Gals:
- Ann from Dabbling and Decorating finds her treasures as she travels between Vermont and Maine. She decorates both homes with so many vintage treasures.
- Kristin from White Arrows Home loves thrifting in Minnesota and adds some of her finds to her vintage store.
- Robyn from Robyn’s French Nest loves to travel and bring her vintage treasure to her lovely Florida Home.
- I am from North Carolina, and I love filling my farmhouse and beach cottage with thrift store finds. I focus on budget-friendly decorating and DIY projects.
- Joining us this month is our good friend Renae from Peacock Ridge Farm, and Renae is from the foothills of the Cascade Mountains in Washington.
Budget Thrifted Countertop Decor
First, let’s talk about thrifted countertop decor you can find on a budget.
I have a list of kitchen items I always look for while out thrifting with the gals.
I also have seasonal items I’ve seen in high-end boutiques or online that I’d like to duplicate.
Pro Tip: What To Shop For
First, here are some things to look for while out thrifting.
- Vintage Wooden Pieces such as rolling pins, breadboards, wooden bowls, smashers, wooden spoons, trays, etc
- Vintage dishes
- Ironstone platters, pitchers, tureens, dishes, etc.
- Vintage Silverware
- Old Bowls
- Copper Pots and Pans
- Old Baskets
- Brass Candlesticks
- Silver Vases, Bowls, etc.
- Vintage Prints and Artwork
You can see more thrift store shopping tips on Top Ten Tips for Successful Thrift Store Shopping.
Decorate Countertops with Collectibles
One way to elevate the value of your thrifted decor collectibles is to group them.
Although all the ironstone tureens are inexpensive thrift store finds, they had style and value to the open shelves when grouped.
Add a stack of breadboards to serve as risers for an ironstone pitcher filled with fresh-picked hydrangeas.
Mix in a few more wooden and vintage pieces to add vintage charm to the open shelves and kitchen countertop’s thrifted decor.
How To Display Vintage Copper
Don’t you love the warmth copper brings to a country kitchen?
I’m always looking for great deals on copper cookware at thrift stores. I have several copper kettles and other unique pieces displayed in the kitchen as well.
Thrifted Decor – Copper Pot Collection
Once my collection of thrifted copper exceeded the space on my plate rack, adding a DIY Copper Pot Hanging Rack was necessary.
I never dreamed how much I’d love this addition to the farmhouse kitchen. Although it’s not on the countertops, I thought I’d share how we made it. It’s such a simple project with so much added style.
Copper Spice Rack and Display
In addition to the pot rack, thrifted vintage spice jars with copper lids inspired another stylish DIY copper project.
Although the spice rack was intended for the spice jars, an additional bar allows for vintage copper measuring cups and a cute measuring scoop, scored for only 50 cents.
The DIY Copper Spice Rack adds warmth to the kitchen countertop’s decor.
Add Thrifted Decor Art To Kitchen Countertops
Although wall space is limited in our country-style kitchen, I love to pick up art at thrift stores.
This is a numbered print from Bob Timberlake, a North Carolina artist. It was a steal for only $5.00 at a local thrift store.
The print is a perfect backdrop, propped up against the wall behind a vintage fruit-filled bowl.
Pro Tip – Display Artwork
If you are limited in wall space, consider adding art to the countertops, open shelves, and inside cupboards.
Art is a clever way to add color and create interest in decor.
Give Kitchen Countertops A New Look – Mix and Match
Don’t be afraid to mix and match new kitchen decor items and vintage pieces.
Mix in some new pieces with your vintage collections to add a curated and unique touch to your kitchen countertops.
You will find many items that can be updated to work within your decor style and give your kitchen a trendy update.
Pro Tip: How Do I Know If It’s A Good Deal?
First, educate yourself before shopping for thrifted decor. Not every $5.00 item is a good deal.
Know what you are looking for, and before you purchase, ask yourself these questions.
- Is this price a good deal?
- Can it be painted to work with my decor?
- Is this something that can be repurposed or repaired?
- Can the tarnished be shined?
- Is this a vintage piece or a reproduction? Look for manufacturer markings.
- If the price is a little high, do you still love it?
Can It Be Updated With Paint?
Do you check out the latest trends at Pottery Barn, Anthropologie, and other high-end decor shops?
I always find a few items I’d love to add to my kitchen countertops’ decor, but the budget doesn’t allow it. So I made a list of things I could transform to look like the new trendy, expensive decor of my dreams.
I saw this gorgeous vase at a favorite idea shop in Wilmington. The $220.00 price tag was a shocker. However, taking note of the shape, I began a search for a similar vase.
For only $4.00, this was a good quality heavy vase, but it needed some freshening up.
A little gold paint and ta-da!
In addition, a Syers Browning Artichoke Final caught my eye, but the $167.00 price tag stopped me in my tracks.
However, this thrifted decor artichoke looks somewhat similar after a blast of white spray paint.
Brass and Silver Kitchen Countertops Decor Finds – Don’t Overlook The Tarnished
I love finding vintage brass and silver pieces. My favorites are candlesticks, vases, cutlery, bowls, sconces, and some figurines.
I’ve recently been searching for silver pieces.
While thrifting in Wilmington over the winter, I spied a couple of great silver pieces. And although very tarnished, the price was right.
They polish up nicely and add a bright touch to the kitchen countertops decor for Summer.
More vintage bowls and wooden kitchenware add a rustic country kitchen vibe to the other side of the stove.
Mixing and matching the shiny with the rustic adds a unique style that feels curated over time.
Decorating the kitchen countertops with thrift store decor allows you to trade out pieces and stay within a tight budget.
You can update your kitchen countertops with trendy, rustic, or elegant styles if you are in for the thrill of the hunt.
Other Budget Kitchen Decorating and DIY Ideas
Here are some other Budget kitchen decor ideas you don’t want to miss.
- How To Decorate With Vintage Kitchen Decor
- Decorate Above Kitchen Cabinets with Modern Farmhouse Style
- 10 Ways To Create Vintage Charm in Modern Farmhouse
- How to Create and Decorate Open Kitchen Shelves.
- Best Farmhouse Kitchen Ideas
- DIY Copper Pot Hanging Rack
- How To Make A Copper Spice Rack Craft
- How To Make New Wood Look Like Old Barn Wood
- How to Build a Farmhouse Kitchen Island
More Thrifting with the Gals
Next, let’s hop over and see how Renae at Peacock Ridge Farm has decorated her office with vintage finds.
Pin It To Remember It
Did you find some great ideas you’d like to save for future reference? Hover over the images you’d like to save and pin to your favorite Pinterest Boards when you see the PIN button.